Key Information and Mandatory Information
OK – What do you want to look at ?
THE DOWSON PROMISE
By the end of their Primary School experience, we promise that the following experiences and opportunities will be afforded to our children as a complement to their curriculum in order to develop a ‘well rounded’ child:
By the end of the Early Years children will have:
- Visited a farm
- Explored the outdoor environment and aspects of nature and wildlife
- Visited places of worship
- Met ‘people who help us’
- Taken care of an animal
- Sang or spoke for an audience
By the end of Lower School children will have:
- Visited the seaside
- Watched a pantomime
- Put on a staged production
- Experienced an aspect of charity work
- Experienced competition
- Grown their own plants and / or vegetables
- Searched for a talent they have
- Had basic first aid training and know what to do in an emergency
By the end of Upper School children will have:
- Learned to play a musical instrument
- Listened to an inspirational speaker
- Mentored another child
- Transferred a skill to someone else
- Taken part in some community or charity work
- Collaborated with children from another school
- Stayed on a residential adventure weekend
- Developed a talent of theirs
- Seen a theatre production
- Presented a display at the RHS Tatton Flower Show
- Made props and costumes for a production
- Considered and investigated future careers and the educational implications of these
In addition, there will be ongoing experiences and opportunities across the primary phases which will happen more frequently, be delivered and accessed at age-appropriate levels and therefore progressive in skill and outcome.
- Have a responsibility in school
- Contribute opinions to school policies and procedures – influencing and informing strategic decisions of the Leadership
- Celebrate success
- Study an author / novel
- Contribute to a website blog and share their work with the wider world
- Communicate with a child in another part of the world – pen friend – study similarities and differences in lives.
- Take part in some kind of enterprise
- Take part in forest school activities
- Represent school in some way
- Communicate with someone famous / a professional/ someone who has overcome a barrier
- Take trips and visits to museums / galleries / sporting events / live performances
- Keep up to date with world news and events of significance
- Plan and cook a meal ‘from scratch’
- Experience everything their local environment has to offer – chance to take part in local walks to the countryside / nature spots; visit local places of significance and understand its history.
- Develop a sense of pride in their community and their country
All children are entitled to a free part-time nursery education place from the term after their third birthday. At Dowson we have one intake for Nursery Children which is in September. Nursery places are allocated by the school using the following criteria for accepting children – details of which can be found following the link
If you are interested in a place for your child, please contact the school office (0161.366.0177 option 2) who will be able to arrange a visit and provide further information. Places are available for morning sessions.
You will need to register your interest in a place by completing the online Nursery Application form here Register of Interest – Nursery
School admissions for Reception intake and for in-year transfers and admissions are now coordinated by Enquire Learning Trust. For details of that process and how parents can engage with it please follow the link below.
Here you will also find other information, including the appeals process.
If you would like to register your interest in a Primary school places at Dowson please complete the Register of Interest – Primary form.
Further information regarding admissions for future academic years, please click on the following links.
Your main contact for secondary school admissions is the Principal Admissions officer, Paula Barnett on 0161 342 3208 . You can follow this link to the Tameside online admissions system and how the process works.
Information will appear here shortly.
Information will appear here soon.